“Core 20” Proposal
We have good data, including input from more than 14,000 participants in regional Connect Hampton Roads surveys and HRT’s Transit Development Plan.
One concept is to implement a core regional bus network through upgrading existing services. With adequate funding (which Hampton Roads does not currently have), the basic idea would be:
In 5 Years: Achieve a new core network connecting the region’s major employment, education, healthcare, and retail centers. This would include:
- State-of-the-art technology and customer amenities
- New, nicer buses with better frequency and reliability
- Seamless links with other transportation providers
- Simpler ways to pay fares and access the system
- Study options to construct high capacity projects
In 10-15 Years: Make targeted improvements that make sense for the region.
- Continue incremental improvements to core regional system as more riders get on board
- Pursue high capacity transit connectors, like Bus Rapid Transit on the Peninsula and extending The Tide light rail to Naval Station Norfolk
- Customized shuttle and circulator services in niche markets